Here’s the news out of a high school in New Hampshire:

On March 11, [Kyle] Dubois attached an electrical clamp to one nipple while another student attached another clamp to the other. A third student plugged in the cord.

Dubois was critically injured.

The shock was sufficient to stop his heart, but I would expect that with electricity going through his chest. So what is the American thing to do in this situation? Why, you sue everyone, don’t you know?

A New Hampshire high school student shocked so severely in shop class that his heart stopped beating is suing his teacher, the school district and the city of Dover.

Kyle Dubois and his parents claim teacher Thomas Kelley did not warn Dubois and other students of the dangers of the electrical demonstration cords in their electrical trades class.

The New Hampshire Union Leader says Dubois’ suit contends he suffered permanent brain damage.

Based on his action, I’d say there’s good evidence that his brain damage is a pre-existing condition. After all, what exactly did he expect to have happen, some mild tickle? If he’s made it all the way to high school without realizing that electricity is dangerous, then he has a case of the stupids. Did he get that way because he wasn’t taught, or because he just didn’t listen?

In any case, he should spend some time learning the principle of “what happens next.”

Leave a Reply